[fedora-java] orienting question

Mike Carifio carifio at usys.com
Thu Feb 26 19:33:29 UTC 2009

I'm trying to understand what I actually get when I install openjdk and
openjdk-devel on fc10. Is there a document that describes what's where
and why?
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#Directory_structure gives
some hints, but it's more mechanical. For example:

1) What's JAVA_HOME, if I wanted to set it?

2) What's the default classpath when I run java?

3) Is jpackage the preferred way to install third party jars? What if
jpackage doesn't have what I want? Do I do it by hand? Where do I put it?

4) Maven (and ivy too) do a good job of chasing dependencies among jars.
How does that work, if at all, with openjdk on fc10.

Thanks.