[fedora-java] Re: aot-compile-rpm and bouncycastle

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Mon Jul 13 10:48:43 UTC 2009

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 15:00 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>>> I am curious. What was the problem using gcj?
>> Check the link above. It gave some 3000+ mysterious compilation
>> warnings, compared to 68 using openjdk:
>
> I must be missing something. It does look like those warnings are
> genuine. Isn't it just the case that gcj has more warnings (enabled) by
> default?

It's just ecj.  ecj comes out with millions of warnings.

Basically, it's the compiler saying "I don't like your coding style.
Please try to be a better programmer and I'll shut up."  I think the
compiler should just STFU anyway and get on with its job.

The Sun javac equivalent for ecj's default is -Xlint, in which case it
emits nearly as many warnings as ecj.  But this only happens if you increase
the maximum warning count; otherwise it just prints the first 100 warnings.

I don't know why IBM chose to make warnings=on the default, unlike Sun
and just about every other compiler provider.  But Sun still prints a
few really useful warnings, even without -Xlint.

I don't think there is an ecj equivalent of Sun's default.
Now that we've got a separate ecj RPM we could provide one.

Andrew.