[fedora-java] Importing packages from jpackage -- version?

Alexander Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 10:14:35 UTC 2009

> I've got a bunch of packages basically ready to import from JPackage
> into Fedora. One thing I'm wondering, though: what should the version
> of the imported packages be?
>
> Assume that the jpackage version is 0:1.5.5-2 (most jpackage packages
> have Epoch: 0). If there's a newer version of the library (often the
> case) -- say 2.1 -- it's pretty straightforward: the Fedora package
> will become 2.1-1 (no Epoch). As I understand it, that means that
> anyone who currently has the jpackage version will be silently
> upgraded to the Fedora version, which is probably good.

Yes, that's the right thing to do.

> If there's not a newer version, though, I'm not sure what to do:
> 1.5.5-1 (it's the first Fedora package)? 1.5.5-2 (same as jpackage)?
> 1.5.5-3 (provide a clean upgrade path?

I personally prefer to provide clean upgrade path i.e. 1.5.5-3 .

> And what if the jpackage one has a non-zero Epoch?

And same here we should try to get jpackage packages updated whenever we
provide newer package/integrate the package in Fedora so we should use the jpp
package Epoch.

There maybe others that will disagree with me but this the way to go if we
want our users to update to our (Fedora packages) with minimal effort.

Alex