[fedora-java] JBoss Packaging in Fedora

Robert Marcano robert at marcanoonline.com
Tue Sep 22 20:18:41 UTC 2009

On 09/22/2009 03:10 PM, Ricardo Argüello wrote:
> I would like to help package JBoss for Fedora. Maybe we could add this
> as a Feature for Fedora 13.

Hola Ricardo, I can join the effort. I already have a extremely custom
(patches and configuration changes) JBoss 4.2 RPM for internal use. It
is not to the level of Fedora packaging standards, but I think the
experience packaging it is helpful, even if the 5.x codebase is different

> Anybody else interested in helping out? I think there was a previous
> effort, but I'm not sure if they managed to pack the lot of
> dependencies needed.

Yes, I think we should start with JBoss 5.x too

> The JPackage project managed to package JBoss 4.2.3 for Fedora 10. We
> could use those RPMs to start, but maybe we should package JBoss 5.x
> instead.
>
> How can we work together on this?

My workflow when I package something Java related with a lot of
dependencies is that I start at the top level and not thinking too much
about the dependencies. In this case I will start packaging JBoss as-is
(before adding it to Fedora repositories), it means using the already
build dependencies from the public maven repositories or bundled in the
source tar, and then replacing one by one with the required links to
Fedora packages one by one, adding what is needed to be added to Fedora
or requesting upgrades to the packages needed