[fedora-java] Building against java-1.5.0-gcj-devel instead of java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel

Mat Booth fedora at matbooth.co.uk
Thu Dec 30 18:15:01 UTC 2010

On 30 December 2010 18:05, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> On 12/30/2010 10:57 AM, Richard Fearn wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm building jcip-annotations for x86_64 rawhide using mock on my F14
>> x86_64 laptop. The package BuildRequires java-devel>= 1.5.0 and
>> java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel is being installed to satisfy that
>> dependency.
>>
>> When requesting a scratch build, such as this one:
>>
>>    http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2694190
>>
>> java-1.5.0-gcj-devel is installed instead. Anyone know why? I expected
>> the latest version to be used for the Koji build.
>
> I think it is because yum uses package name length in this case (for lack of
> any better information) to pick between java-1.5.0-gcj-devel and
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel.  They both satisfy java-devel >= 1.5.0 so in theory
> either should be fine.

Orion is right in that either should be fine because both satisfy that
requirement, but I too have found javadoc generation to be
particularly flakey with GCJ.

In order to work around this, I think it is ok to BuildRequire
java-devel >= 1:1.6.0 as long as you build with source=1.5 and
target=1.5.

--
Mat Booth
http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora