[fedora-java] JUnit4 being obsoleted by JUnit

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Wed Jun 16 08:31:01 UTC 2010

Recent versions of JUnit4 have backward compatible layer that is able to
emulate JUnit versions 3.x.x. We currently have 4.8.2 in rawhide thanks to
Alexander Kurtakov.

I have done some testing of this backward compatibility and I was able
to successfully replace junit with recent junit4 and build packages:
 * jakarta-commons-logging
 * jakarta-commons-io
 * jakarta-commons-dbcp
 * eclipse (unmodified spec, but replaced junit.jar symlink in
   /usr/share/java with junit4.jar)

This means we can begin phasing out separate junit4 package and
basically overwrite junit package with it. This will be done probably
in the next few days. New version of junit will of course offer backward
compatible symlinks, so no modifications to your packages should be
necessary. Problems might occur anyway, so take this as a heads-up.

junit package in devel is currently orpahned and I plan to take it and
do these changes, unless anyone has conflicting ideas. Other ideas are
welcome too of course.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 71A1677C