[fedora-java] Saner Java packaging

Alexander Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Fri Mar 5 16:31:56 UTC 2010

Time to bring GCJ support discussion back.
We should find a way to not install java-1.5.0-gcj on every users computers.
There are packages that do not work with it and it's plain wrong to install it
as a dependency of this packages which are explicitly requiring java 1.6.0.
Possible solutions:
 * Solution 1 - someone who cares for the gcj stack finds a way to not require
java-1.5.0-gcj when there are gcj bits in the package so we do not force gcj
installation on every user.
 * Solution 2 - drop gcj support from packages, interested maintainers can add
gcj bits as a subpackage which requires java-1.5.0-gcj. I think that this is
what Debian is doing.

I will also propose changing Java Packaging Guidelines to not require or
recommend the addition of gcj support bits.

Any comments?

Alex