[fedora-java] Packaging partial projects

Andy Grimm agrimm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 17:34:13 UTC 2011

Hi, everyone.  I'm relatively new to the world of Java, Maven, etc., and
trying to undertake a rather large packaging exercise -- packaging the
dependencies for Eucalyptus.  I'm finding it relatively straightforward to
build ant-based packages, but maven is proving to be a bit of "dependency
hell" for various reasons.  In one case, I have a dependency on a single Jar
from RHQ (http://rhq-project.org/) which is literally less than 80 lines of
code.  I spent a few hours digging through maven dependencies and trying to
disable various modules before giving up.  Writing a build.xml file to just
compile and bundle the jar took about 5 minutes.  So the question is:  is
this acceptable?  I would be taking a tiny bit of code from a huge project,
packaging it (the rpm named as rhq-pluginAnnotation to be clear that it's
just that piece) along with hand-created POM and /etc/maven/fragments/
files.  This is far from ideal, but the alternative seems to be to block on
getting an entire JBossAS stack into Fedora so that I can use 80 lines of
code.

Any advice that you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks.

--Andy