[fedora-java] Default java.library.path in Fedora

Dr Andrew John Hughes ahughes at redhat.com
Mon Mar 28 17:48:44 UTC 2011

On 12:34 Mon 28 Mar     , Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 28/03/11 12:23, Mat Booth wrote:

> >> I wouldn't have thought so.  /usr/local/lib isn't really standard for
> >> anything.  Even if we could patch OpenJDK to do this, the third party
> >> apps would immediately break with any other JRE.
> >>
> >> Doesn't it make more sense for the app to know where its native library
> >> is, and load it from the right place?
> >
> > I would rather the app not have to care where the libraries are, but
> > for some odd reason the autotools in Fedora uses a default prefix of
> > /usr/local rather than /usr
> >
> > If this is not a standard location then maybe this is an autotools
> > bug? I shouldn't have to tell the autotools where it is appropriate to
> > install things for the operating system it ships with :-/
>
> I think autotools has done this since the year dot.  It's not going to
> change now.

Correct: http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html#Default-Prefix

And it's the correct default IMHO so local user installations don't interfere
with system/distro-installed packages in /usr.

> > Either way, I expect the default settings to just work.
>
> This isn't just a Fedora problem.  Finding JNI libraries is a PITA in
> general, and patching OpenJDK to do something different from every other
> JRE isn't a good idea.  I'm not at all sure it makes sense to fix this
> locally in Fedora.  We'd want to make sure this is fixed for all GNU/
> Linux systems, everywhere.

I agree.  If it's to be done at all, it needs to be discussed on the appropriate
OpenJDK mailing list (probably core-libs-dev or hotspot-dev).

> Andrew.
> --

Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and IcedTea
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://icedtea.classpath.org
PGP Key: F5862A37 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EA30 D855 D50F 90CD F54D  0698 0713 C3ED F586 2A37