[fedora-java] Automatic javadoc subpackage genration

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 16:36:24 UTC 2011

Hi list,

We have already discussed automatic javadoc subpackage generation
during our SIG meeting few months back [1]. At the time we had two
issues with it:
 * it didn't handle licensing (javadoc has to have license of its own
   if upstream provides it or require main package)
 * we'd still have to copy javadocs into %_javadocdir

Yesterday I decided to look into this and created a bit more
convoluted macro with more options. See [2] or [3] for
details. Basically we try to do everything automatically but allow
packagers to modify behaviour of the macro:
 * Specify non-standard location where we can find license (until we
   add it to standard paths macro looks into)
 * Specify directory where apidocs are generated (we default to
   maven-generated target/site/apidocs)
 * Allow packager to override adding of "Requires: %{name}.." into
   javadoc (we do this if we don't find license file). This is useful
   when upstream has no separate license file

Also, I hooked into RPM so the javadocs are copied to %{_javadocdir}
automatically without any intervention needed from packager.

As far as I know this should cover most use-cases, but I am looking
for feedback before proposing changes to the guidelines.

[1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2011-06-01/java-sig.2011-06-01-13.05.log.html#l-64
[2] http://inputvalidation.blogspot.com/2011/11/automatic-javadoc-subpackage-generation.html
[3] http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=javapackages.git;a=summary (generate_javadoc branch)

--