[fedora-java] Packaging Webapps for Fedora

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Sep 28 14:13:06 UTC 2011

I'm one of the developers working on the next version of Dogtag, the
Public Key Infrastructure packages (pki-*)  which is, as far as I can
tell, the only Java Web app that actually ships in Fedora.

PKI is an old project, and it has vestiges of many  aspects of Java
development that are just done differently today.  We are looking to
close the gap between where it is and where the Standard lies.   As
such, we have to figure out how to attack packaging the application.

Part of that, for Fedora, is to establish the standard in the first place.

Dogtag ships with a utility called  pkicreate.  This is an application
that creates a Tomcat instance in (by default) /var/lib/pki-*  and sets
the ports, the SELinux policy, the config, etc.  While I think it does
more than it should, certain aspects of what it does are essential.  For
example,  it handles all of the SELinux configuration for the Tomcat
instance.  Tomcat ships with SSL  disabled, and  without an AJP
connector to apache.  Thus,  Tomcat can't serve over port 80 or 443,
meaning that they can't be viewed by many people behind firewalls.
pkicreate configures mod_proxy_ajp support.   It performs the SELinux
configuration for the HTTP  ports (if they are different from 8080 and
8443 which should be handled by system policy), as well as the AJP port.

Russ Alberry, on the Debian Java team, has propsed a deployment utility
similar in scope to what pkicreate does, but for the general case:

http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep7/

Fedora 17 and later will have  JBoss, which has a different set of
deployment rules.  Geronimo is already part of Fedora, although I have
to admit ignorance as far as how it would interact with Tomcat.  Resin
is a possiblity as well.  So we don't want to hardcode the deployment
approach to the Tomcat  server.  But, the Tomcat install should be
supported first.

For a directory standard, I would say that a Fedora Web app should not
have to provide a .war file, but should be able to use the tool to
produce one .

Many web applications allow for post install customization.  THe
simplest case is that a Company wants to theme the application with its
own images and CSS.  If the web application is delivered in  a .war file
and expects to deploy this way on the Servlet engine, there is no way to
customize it.  Thus, Russ' approach listed above seems right on.  The
one thing I would adjust is that deployment as a war file should be an
option, but not necessarily the prefereed option.  MOst application
servers have to unzip war files anyway, and it seems a waste and
troublesome to zip up the file only to unzip it.  I say war is the
exception but not the rule.

pkicreate is a Perl application.  As such, I don't think it will gain
wide acceptance in the Java community.  But, it can server as a
prototype for A Java based java-deploy-webapp.

Here's a short list of functions that I think the deployment tool should
handle beyond what is listed in Russ' propsal:

1.  Configuring Security Realms
2.  Configuring JDBC connections (It would be nice if it configured
Postgresql and MySQL for JDBC, too....)
3.  Configuring LDAP  connections
4.  Opening additional ports and providing SELinux configuration for them
5.  Creating Symlinks for shared libraries  to /usr/share/java and
/usr/lib[64]/java
6.  Registering generic Global scoped components that can be accessed
via JNDI names.

It  is possible that the workflow for java-deploy-webapp could best be
done using either Ant or Maven.  However, I would not like to require a
.pom or build.xml file as part of the deployment:  Web apps should
follow the standard, and requiring additional configuration should be
supported but not the norm.  Perhaps we look for something like
/etc/webapp/name/pom.xml  and, if it doesn't exist, generate it from a
skeleton.  Or, we can say that if they provide the pom.xml, then we
support deploying this way, otherwise you are on your own.