[fedora-java] Maven error log due to UTF8 during make rpm

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 13:12:54 UTC 2012

Hi guys,
I hope someone here stumbled upon it, and has a good idea.
We have some Java source files with remarks in French, including
Unicode characters.
When running simple maven build it works well.
However, when using rpmbuild, we're failing
with errors like this:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (default-compile) on project talendRoutines: Compilation failure: Compilation failure:
[ERROR] /home/xxx/git-repos/ovirt-dwh/rpmtop/BUILD/ovirt-dwh-3.0/data-warehouse/history_etl/etl_sources/talendRoutines/src/main/java/routines/TalendString.java:[274,35] unmappable character for encoding ASCII

When debugging this, we saw that rpmbuild actually sets LANG=C,
which disables unicode thus resulting with the error.

1. Did anyone see this before?
2. Any idea how to disable the LANG setting during rpmbuild?

I'm sure Fedora Java dev's should be aware of it.

Thanks!
Doron