[fedora-java] Removing java provides from java-1.5.0-gcj

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Wed Sep 5 16:27:58 UTC 2012

Quoting Deepak Bhole (2012-09-05 18:14:38)
> * Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com> [2012-08-29 05:21]:
> > We've encountered some minor issues with a few package which were kind
> > of hard to track down. They were partially caused by a bug in yum which
> > causes both gcj and openjdk being pulled in when only one of them should
> > be. The other part was small and hard to spot packaging issues which
> > caused gcj getting accidentaly pulled into BR instead openjdk
> >
> > Now there are legitimate reasons to require gcj directly, but I'd like
> > to propose removing "Provides: java = %{javaver}" (and -devel
> > counterpart). I think leaving rest of the provides should not be an
> > issue.
> >
> > This way we'll be able to remove obscure need for "Requires: java >= 1:1.6.0"
> >
> > I am CCing Deepak as primary maintainer. Does anyone have strong
> > objections for said removal?
> >

> The biggest problem would be for Java packages that need to build on non
> primary architectures. GCJ builds on every architecture we have, but
> that is not the case for OpenJDK (yet). If we remove the provides, any
> packages that may have been using GCJ will no longer be able to build.

Yes I agree that would be the biggest issue and it's a small one at
that, because we'd just remove provides and packages would still be able
to have "BuildRequires: java-1.5.0-gcj" if need be (until we solve the
build issue).

I believe due to this, the risk is minimal

> Of course GCJ is only Java 1.5 so I don't think it helps too many
> applications. If the architectural concerns are okay to ignore, then I
> too am fine with removing the provides. We can always add it back at a
> later time if need be.

I have similar opion on the number of applications affected by this
(i.e. close to zero). Most of our java packages are building with
openjdk anyway because of ant and maven both pulling it in

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241