[fedora-java] A script to help packaging Maven artifacts

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 12:31:00 UTC 2012

Quoting Mikolaj Izdebski (2012-09-11 14:11:46)
> Maven is currently dominating build system in Fedora Java
> packages. Autogenerating source RPM packages (or package
> skeletons) from Maven artifacts isn't new idea [1], but I'm
> not aware of any tool implementing such thing.
>
> I've been recently playing a bit with Maven and I thought of
> creating a tool that given a Maven groupId and artifactId would
> download it along with all dependencies that are not yet
> packaged for Fedora and create skeleton packages. A lot of
> metadata (including Requires, BuildRequires, URLs, Description)
> is already present in pom.xml files and can be easily extracted.
>
> I could rather easily crqeate such tool. The question is, would
> anyone be interested in seeing (and perhaps using) that?
> If yes, please speak up and share your ideas.

I would just add a note that it should be clear enough that this will
generate RPMs that would not be supportable on Fedora infrastructure.
In other words the tool would download binary jars from maven central,
place them in correct subdirectory in (/usr/share/java/maven2rpm/ for
example) and create proper depmaps so the resulting RPMs would be
integrated with rest of the system.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241