[fedora-java] Maven plugin to simplify spec %install section

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Sep 11 12:43:37 UTC 2012

Quoting Mikolaj Izdebski (2012-09-11 14:33:47)
> > Yet another option is including it with javapackages-tools which
> > contains rpm-packaging support already although not Maven specific. I
> > see no problem with adding Maven-specific plugin even if
> > javapackages-tools don't require Maven. The plugin is not going to be
> > used outside Maven java artifacts anyway...
>
> Let's say the script that invokes my plugin would be called mvn-rpminstall.
> Why mvn-rpmbuild would be part part of maven package, while mvn-rpminstall
> part of javapackages-tools? Both are Fedora-specific extensions to upstream
> Maven. For me it would be the best to package them in the same fashion.

Indeed looking from that POV it looks sensible to put it in Maven. I am
looking at it from my knowledge of patches that Maven itself carries.
mvn-rpmbuild directly depends on those patches while mvn-rpminstall does
not (AFAIK). In the end it's not *that* important since Maven pulls in
javapackages-tools through jpackage-utils dependency anyway. I just
wanted to keep our Maven package simple and close to upstream content.

I basically boils down to: which option will confuse packagers and
downstream distributions using our Java stack less...

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241