[fedora-java] A script to help packaging Maven artifacts

Matt Spaulding mspaulding06 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 19:00:02 UTC 2012

This sounds like an excellent idea, though I'm skeptical you would be able
to automatically download source. Many times I find that I have to scour
the internet to find the source for java dependencies, which could be
packaged in different ways, or require me to package it myself from a
source repository. This is much easier when dealing with Python (PyPi) or
Ruby (RubyGems) since there are central repositories that contain the
sources you're looking for.

While it would certainly be possible, it would not be trivial by any means.
Can't wait to see how it goes; I would definitely use this tool!

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 5:38 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk at redhat.com>wrote:

> > I would just add a note that it should be clear enough that this will
> > generate RPMs that would not be supportable on Fedora infrastructure.
> > In other words the tool would download binary jars from maven central,
> > place them in correct subdirectory in (/usr/share/java/maven2rpm/ for
> > example) and create proper depmaps so the resulting RPMs would be
> > integrated with rest of the system.
>
> No, not at all. This tool would create spec files that after some minor
> manual tweaks could be included as a part of Fedora.
>
> This tool would download *source* tarballs and extract metadata from
> pom.xml files creating package skeleton with one artifact per subpackage,
> %build section consisting of mvn-rpmbuild and so on. Such package would
> meet packaging guidelines and could definitely  be used to package
> software for inclusion in Fedora.
>
> Mikolaj Izdebski
> --

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least
once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things. - Rene
Descartes