[fedora-java] Gradle upgrade issues (#976330)

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Mon Oct 21 20:25:41 UTC 2013

On 10/21/2013 04:15 PM, Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> Does it use a per-project private copy?  I thought it would, but then
> tried it and it seems to be downloading Gradle to ~/.gradle, so you
> should only have one copy per Gradle version used.  Which is annoying,
> but not *quite* as bad.

When building in Fedora, one should set the .gradle dir to be inside the
build tree. But, the .gradle tree should be shareable, as it is with
.m2, because the dependencies are versioned and supposed to be unique.

I was speaking of a copy of the gradle build tool itself plus all of its
dependencies. All gradle builds tend to ship with the `gradlew' shell
script  which specifies a specific distro of gradle. Gradle also bundles
a full copy of maven with itself.

Keep in mind that gradle cannot even necessarily build itself, nevermind
build version 1.(x+1) with version 1.x. I don't know of another piece of
Java software that is this bad.