[fedora-java] Gradle upgrade issues (#976330)

David Walluck david at zarb.org
Tue Oct 22 15:23:11 UTC 2013

On 10/22/2013 04:29 AM, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> Gradle uses some libraries, which use different incompatible versions of
> ASM (3 and 4).  For upstream that's not a problem as one copy of ASM is
> shaded (bundled with namespace changed).  In Fedora ASM cannot be shaded
> as this would be against Fedora policy.  This causes problems as two
> versions of ASM end up being on Gradle classpath.

Now I understand. Yes, the two major versions cannot be on the same
classpath.

I was seeing a similar issue with xbean, since newer versions of that
use asm4, even though there is a jar called xbean-asm{,4}-shaded. As you
said, you disallow such jars altogether as they contain essentially
private copies of the asm code that is now immune to upgrades to the
system asm packages.