[fedora-java] [Fedora-packaging] Package Android Studio in Fedora 21/20

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Thu Oct 24 08:11:37 UTC 2013

Quoting Petr Hracek (2013-10-23 12:25:58)
> Hello folks,
>
> I would like to package Android Studio in Fedora 20/21.
> The URL for Android Studio is
> (http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/studio.html)
>
> What do you think about it?
> Is it possible to package the IDE?

Possible? Sure, anything is...
Feasible? Unlikely

> What about the license?

I couldn't even bother going through the steps to get to the source code...It's
just too damn hard[1]. So...no idea about license but there would likely be a
few glitches

> If it is not possible to package them into Fedora,
> can we use rpmfusion non-free as a plugin?

As Dridi mentioned, this is based on IntelliJ IDEA (or however it's
capitalized). It uses some custom build scripts to build, internally uses gradle
to actually build those android projects...It's a mess on top of mess. Yes,
people could package it. But it would take some serious effort and is definitely
not a one-man-job. Not to mention maintaining it afterwards.

We have enough packaged and unmaintained software in Java world as it is...

As for rpmfusion: rpmfusion has *identical* guidelines to Fedora. Only
difference is that they let in patented stuff (more or less). You can't package
something with unclear licensing or redistribution problems in rpmfusion either.

> Thank you very much.

Yeah, I don't think you like my answer but...

[1] http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
Software Engineer - Developer Experience

PGP: 7B087241