[fedora-java] Packaging tomcat shell scripts

Robert Rati rrati at redhat.com
Thu Jan 9 15:34:34 UTC 2014

On 11/07/2013 05:22 AM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
>>> Since I've come along systemd's tomcat at foo service file[1] recently
>>> while packaging thermostat in rawhide, what is preventing you from using
>>> this for hadoop httpfs? It worked quite nicely for us, since we didn't
>>> have to ship our own systemd service file. We now simply use $ systemctl
>>> start tomcat at thermostat for firing up tomcat with a CATALINA_BASE
>>> in /var/lib/tomcats/thermostat.
>>
>> It looks very elegant to me! But I haven't found in the systemd.service(5)
>> man how you're achieving this, can you show me please ? Also you've
>> convinced me even more that catalina.sh and its friends are less relevant
>> to native packages.
>
> Have a look at the thermostat.spec[1] on master. The webapp subpackage
> is doing this.

I've finally gotten the time to look at this solution and it looks like
there could be issues with multiple webapps deploying the way thermostat
does.  I'm not a tomcat expert so I'm probably missing something, but
here are the concerns I have:

1) With all webapps using the same configuration files, wouldn't the
logs become a mess?  From my testing of thermostat, it places all logs
in /usr/share/tomcat/logs with no unique extensions save a single
exception (thermostat-web-storage).  If multiple webapps launch this
way, won't the logs be incomprehensible?

2) What ports end up being used by these webapps if they all use the
same configuration?  It seems like there'd be a logjam on 8005.  What
about webapps that want to use different ports?  Is that needed/allowed?
  Can this be done with the config file in sysconfig?

Rob