[fedora-java] Odd test failure in mock (& sometimes koji)

Gerard Ryan galileo at fedoraproject.org
Sun Sep 27 19:45:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm encountering a test failure for the minimal-json package in mock,
and I'm hoping someone can help me understand it. The assertions that
fail are at [1].

If I take one of the assertions as an example, the first one on line 44:

assertSame(Json.NULL, JsonValue.NULL);

This is trying to assert that both of the objects refer to the same
objects in memory. I think this is a perfectly fine thing to expect in
this case, since the NULL field in JsonValue[3] refers directly to the
NULL field in the Json class[4].

The test works fine if I just run mvn test in the upstream project, and
I'm not applying any patches or changes in the spec file[2].

To compound my confusion, where this doesn't work in local mock for me
at all for any release (f24, f23,f22), it works in koji **sometimes**:

* a passing build from a couple of weeks ago in rawhide[5]
* a passing scratch build from just now in rawhide[6]
* a failing scratch build from just now in f23 [7]
* a passing scratch build from just now in f23 [8]

I _assume_ that my consistent failures locally and the intermittent
failures in koji are related.

If anyone has any idea what the cause of this is (also, solution ;)),
I'd be delighted for any advice. I've been out of the Java head space
for 6+ months now, so it's very possible that I'm overlooking something
something obvious!

Thanks,
Gerard.

[1] http://git.io/vcJap