Can't close systemsettings

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 19 11:55:15 UTC 2008

On Friday 19 December 2008 11:04:24 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I don't know whether I'm looking in the wrong place, but on the Buttons
> > page I just have
> >
> > Show window button tooltips
> > Use custom titlebar button positions
>
> The latter is the one you want, it also allows you to add buttons.

It doesn't here - or does it?  See below.  This is 4.1.3-2.fc10, and I have

---spacer---
Keep Above Others (unavailable)
Keep Below Others (unavailable)
Shade (unavailable)
Resize (unavailable)

I had missed the last one, as I hadn't dragged the window up.

> > (and enabling that shows three options, all unavailable - but since
> > position isn't the issue, that's not important to me.)
>
> It works for me (in KDE 4.1.3) even if I set the decoration to "Laptop".
> Moreover, I do get a close button by default.

I finally realised that there is a close button on the extreme left - not
expecting that, I didn't see it.  The next misunderstanding was not
recognising the 'titlebar preview' for what it is.  I've now dragged the close
button to the right, where I expected it.  However, now, on that preview I see
'? + _ square H H X'.  Is the '+' what should allow adding buttons?  If so, it
doesn't seem to do anything.  Then there is those two instances of 'H' - what
are they?

Applying now shows buttons in the order of '? O Down Up wide-blue-blank-icon
X' - presumably related to those two 'H's?

When I've properly understood this I'll write it up for userbase.