Can't close systemsettings

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:05:09 UTC 2008

On Friday 19 December 2008 14:25:37 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> On Friday 19 December 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > It doesn't here - or does it?  See below.  This is 4.1.3-2.fc10, and I
> > have
> >
> > ---spacer---
> > Keep Above Others (unavailable)
> > Keep Below Others (unavailable)
> > Shade (unavailable)
> > Resize (unavailable)
> >
> > I had missed the last one, as I hadn't dragged the window up.
>
> That just means all the supported buttons are already present. If you
> remove one, it'll show up as available.

OK - that makes sense.

> > I finally realised that there is a close button on the extreme left - not
> > expecting that, I didn't see it.
>
> I'm not sure where that layout comes from, I thought it was from
> Oxygen/Ozone, but that actually defaults to having the close button on the
> extreme right after the 2 spacers. Maybe an old version of Oxygen? Or maybe
> it's just what the default is the first time you enable customized
> positions.

This is Fedora 10, using Phase style (which I haven't changed) and Laptop
Window Decoration.  The Close button was on the right in the original
decoration setting, so I don't know why it was on the left in Laptop.

> > However, now, on that preview I see '? + _ square H H X'.  Is the '+'
> > what should allow adding buttons?  If so, it doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> The '+' stands for "On all desktops". '?' is Help, '_' is minimize, the
> square is maximize.

Apart from '+' they were recognisable.  I just never thought of that as 'On
all desktops'.  I'm still getting to grips with that.  Are you really saying
that you could have window decorations different on each desktop?

> > Then there is those two instances of 'H' - what are they?
>
> The 'H's are spacers (separators). Oxygen uses those spacers to look
> "cool", in most other window decorations they're just annoying, so just
> remove them.
Fair enough.

> > Applying now shows buttons in the order of '? O Down Up
> > wide-blue-blank-icon X' - presumably related to those two 'H's?
>
> Right, those 2 'H's are spacers so they produce that wide blank space.

OK - thanks for the explanation.  I'll give some thought now about what to
write on userbase and where to put it.