Interface fonts in Firefox and Thunderbird with KDE4

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Dec 22 11:39:36 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2008, James Amundson wrote:
>> Does anyone out there understand how Firefox and Thunderbird determine
>> which fonts to use for their user interface, i.e., menus, etc? I have
>> installed "GTK styles and Fonts" display settings module. It works fine
>> for ordinary gtk and Gnome applications. However, Firefox and
>> Thunderbird seem to have some more complex system for determining their
>> system fonts. The only way I can get F & T to respect my font choice
>> while using KDE4 is to
>>     (1) log in under Gnome,
>>     (2) change some font settings,
>>     (3) log out (without rebooting)
>>     (4) log in under KDE4.
>
> Looks like they only honor the settings from gnome-settings-daemon (which
> doesn't run by default in KDE), not the GTK+ settings.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I had a possibly-related problem; in fc10 I could, suddenly, boot into
Gnome but not into KDE.  I assumed that I had somehow trashed the KDE
config, but the problem was in the installation of the nvidia driver,
from ATrpms, which was loading and failing to work with X.org modules.
OK after adding the nvidia ModulePath lines to the Files section in
xorg.conf.  See nvidia-graphics177.80 (or similar) package description.

John Pilkington

John Pilkington