much of KDE freezes for 20 seconds (includes strace output)

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Wed Apr 1 13:49:15 UTC 2009

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> I also don't think its a graphic driver issue - usually many
> self-made-professionals point to that, without any real indication.
> If you use nv and the problem persists, it has nothing to do with the
> proprietary nvidia driver, period.

There's well-founded experience behind our seemingly crazy requests to
reproduce bugs free of nvidia's taint (all files, libs, even nv's own
libGL, etc...).  I once found it hard to believe too, until I witnessed it
(pauses/freezes in particular).  NVidia's drivers are freaky beasts, and
has caused countless episodes of wasted debugging.  More than a few times,
folk *swore* to me that their systems were nvidia-driver free... and guess
what, they weren't, and when purged completely, wierdness disappeared.

I (we) really need to document this all on the wiki somewhere, so I don't
need to re-write this rant every few weeks.

Back to the issue at hand, we'd all be happy to lend more efforts in helping
diagnose this problem, really.  But we can't afford to waste time on
anything that can even remotely be attributed to nvidia-driver issues.  Not
me anyway, no thanks.

-- Rex