Lost systray icons

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:23:43 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 March 2009 13:26:42 Patrick Boutilier wrote:

> >> Check in /etc/profile.d/kde4.sh
> >
> > OK - it's not there.  So are you saying that I should add this?
> > Presumably after the existing scripts?  I know I've read something about
> > this, but I can't remember anything about it.
>
> No. I had the problem you are describing when I had it on. Only icons
> that would show up in systray would be kde3 apps. You are having a
> different problem.

For the sake of the archives, you were absolutely correct.  I finally realised
that I should check ~/.bash-profile, and that was where I had added the
statement KDE_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1.  Commenting that out has returned them to
visibiity.

Thanks for the hint - and sorry it took so long for the penny to drop :-)  For
the sake of others, I've documented it at http://userbase.kde.org/GPU-
Performance, one of the Troubleshooting pages.