Odd behaviour of Dolphin with pendrives

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 21:35:36 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 07:41 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > 1) No auto pop-up. This is probably a setting somewhere and hence my
> > fault. For now I just click on the drive icon in the Kickoff menu,
> > though a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
> >
> If you use the device notifier on the panel to mount it, you get a popup
> showing your options, such as to open in dolphin, download pictures, etc.

True. Unfortunately the exact same menu pops up when you want to unmount
it. This makes no sense. Furthermore, after mounting there is no change
whatever to the apparent state seen in the notifier. It doesn't say
where the device is mounted, or even that is mounted at all, i.e. there
is no way to distingsuih (using this window) if the device is mounted or
not.

[...]

> > 3) On unmounting the drive (click on the drive icon and select "safely
> > unmount") the pending writes are flushed and the drive is unmounted,
> > *but the pop-up window doesn't go away*! Not only that, you can click on
> > a file and the system will try to open it, followed shortly by an
> > obscure error message when it fails. This is just absurd.
> >
> I tried your method of umounting, and it does seem buggy.  Umount from either
> dolphin or the device notifier and you will find it works much better.

For some definitions of "better". I tried it from the notifier and the
contents of the Dolphin window disappear, which I suppose is an
improvement, but the window itself sticks around, thus an empty device
looks very much like an unmounted device even though the two are
completely different.

poc