kdeedu-marble and digikam

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 14:33:38 UTC 2009

On 04/23/2009 08:35 AM, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ben Boeckel wrote:
>>
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>> I want to remove kdeedu-marble, having no use for it,
>> but yum tells me
>>> this leads to removing digikam as well.
>>>
>>> What has a mapping application go to do with a photo
>> manager?
>>
>> Digikam can show where a photo was taken on a map if
>> the EXIF tags are there. It should probably be an
>> optional dependency, but that'd be something for
>> upstream to sort out most likely.
>
> correct, GEOIP tagging feature, which is linked into the application, so
> it's not possible to remove the hard dep (without losing the feature).

<rant>
Let me just say for the record that this sucks. kdeedu-marble is a 30MB
download which I have no intention of using, not even for geo-tagging,
i.e. I don't care about losing the feature and I conjecture that this is
likely to be true of a great many users. It's absurd that this isn't
optional. I get it that it's an upstream problem, so my complaint is
really directed at the KDE folks, but still.
</rant>

I guess I'll register my displeasure on the KDE BZ.

poc