kdeedu-marble and digikam

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sun Apr 26 19:46:31 UTC 2009

On Sunday 26 April 2009 20:20:31 Rex Dieter wrote:
> On 04/26/2009 11:59 AM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>
> > Its a packaging error because the package is not required to make marble
> > work. If digikam it is not required it is not a dependency. An error In
> > computer parlance is called a bug.
>
> It's the other way around, and it's not a packaging bug.
>
> digikam requires kdeedu-marble, if built with marble support.
>
> install both and try
> rpm -e --nodeps kdeedu-marble
> digikam will no longer start.

Ahh. So the feature is compiled in. As such digikam expects marble to be in place. Then Patrick I would have to agree that it be included. With all due respect; for those that would be relying on the feature it would be sorely missed if it wasn't there. And then we would be complaining that the feature wasn't included.

Maybe you should try to communicate with the developers and ask them if there is any way to get digikam to compile with support built, check if the package is installed and run even if the package is not installed. That way the dependency can be removed. Until such time Fedora has no real option but to include it.

Eli

believed to be clean.