KDE 4.3: configuring device actions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 7 18:03:26 UTC 2009

On Friday 07 August 2009 17:44:36 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > The best way undoubtedly is for those that care to start helping write
> > documentation - and UserBase makes that easy to do (any help needed in
> > starting new sections etc., please ask me).  If you do that, developers
> > will be so grateful that they'll fall over themselves to answer your
> > questions so that you can expand the help.
>
> It's unfortunate that this has veered off into a discussion of the docs.
> If you glance at my original post, that point I was trying to make was
> that the configuration dialogue is poorly designed. If it were
> well-designed, the docs would be much less important.

UI design these days is based on scientific research.  I often don't agree with
the end-result, but all that proves is that I don't fit the common mold.

> However I take your point about offering to help. You did that once
> before and I never acted on it. If you point me in the right direction
> I'll see what I can do.

Choose an application that you like using, tell me which one, and I'll talk
with you off-list (to save bandwidth for others) about how to get started.
> [...]
>
> > > That also works with Dolphin and is a valid alternative. However it
> > > doesn't really answer the question. More to the point, a user who sees
> > > the notification pop-up and clicks on the icon will still have to click
> > > twice more to get to the file browser, which I conjecture to be by far
> > > the most common case. That's just bad design.
> >
> > How do you know that's the common case?  It is for you, and it is for me,
> > but for others an image viewer or media player may be their most common
> > need.
>
> Perhaps, but we'll never know. That's why configurability is important.

Then talk about it on Brainstorm.
<snip>

> BTW http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Device
> +Manager?content=106051 shows an interesting alternative to the device
> notifier, but it doesn't seem to be available for Fedora (the Install
> New Widgets dialogue can't find it.)

The Fedora Install New Widgets dialogue only seems to find a very few, when
there are dozens available.  I've no idea why.  Perhaps we should file a bug
report on this.  I've thought of doing so more than once, but always been too
busy at that point and then forgot until next time.