Using hard links in Dolphin

Ben Boeckel MathStuf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:51:04 UTC 2009

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 10:41 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> If I've understood you correctly, I don't see the advantage
of linking
>> them
>> that way.  Make a directory ~/Temp and in dolphin drag that
directory
>> into the
>> Places menu.  Pull copies of everything you are going to
backup into
>> that
>> directory - at least as fast as linking them.  Then when you
are
>> finished,
>> start the backup to removable devices and finally empty the
~/Temp
>> directory.
>
> Well sure, but I was hoping to avoid an extra copy stage. Why
do you say
> that copying the files is as fast as linking them? We're
talking about a
> couple of GB here. I agree that copying them to a local
directory is not
> nearly as slow as the backup phase, but it also takes up
temporary
> space. It's just inelegant :-)
If you use ext4, copy is just as fast as link (still allocates
space, but it's copy-on-write, so it's effectively just a link).
Only actually does the copy when the data is changed in either.

> I can do it my way from a Shell. The advantage of Dolphin is
that it
> *sometimes* makes it easier to select a random set of files
(with
> complex names not readily encompassed by a simple regular
expression),
> but if Dolphin can't create hard links, then I'd regard that
as a
> limitation.
Agreed, but putting in that menu will probably make it harder
than it already is. Hard link? Soft link? Making the two entries
completely different will be hard.

> Do you know if the Right-click menu is configurable? Or
documented?
Turning it on/off is all I know of it. It'd be in the ui.rc file
somewhere though I'd think. Maybe there's a class for it
somewhere.

> Also, (OT) what's the difference between Play, Queue, Play
Next and
> Queue Next in this menu?
Amarok? Never seen this menu myself :/ .

> poc

- --Ben