Changing default email client system wide in kde

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Dec 3 14:32:58 UTC 2009

Roderick Johnstone wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to change the default email client in kde from kmail to
> thunderbird.
>
> I can change it for my pown account by using system settings / Default
> applications, and it seems to add a file emaildefaults in my .kde tree,
> but I'd like to be able to change it system-wide for all my users.
>
> Copying that emaildefaults to /usr/share/config doesnt seem to work.

This worked for me, to change systemwide default to, say, thunderbird,

edit /usr/share/config/emaildefaults to contain:
[Defaults]
Profile=Default

[PROFILE_Default]
EmailClient[$e]=thunderbird

Keep in mind, any ~/.kde/share/config/emaildefaults present, will
override /usr/share/config/emaildefaults

-- Rex