F12: 30 second freeze when accessing certain panel items ?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Dec 17 00:41:07 UTC 2009

Linuxguy123 wrote:
> The other thing that bugs we is that we are constantly (since F10) in no
> man's land.  Nouveau isn't finished and totally working yet. In fact,
> Fedora people weren't keen about Linux merging it in 2.6.33 !  And yet
> the KDE developers keep writing stuff that doesn't work with the
> proprietary nvidia driver.
>
> If the Fedora/KDE community wants to force us to use nouveau then they
> need to complete it, ie clean up all the bugs and build a GUI that
> allows one to control it like nvidia has done.  I'd GLADLY use nouveau
> then.
>
> UNTIL then we have to realize we live in a TWO driver community.   Some
> of use still need to use the proprietary nvidia driver.

You don't NEED to use the proprietary driver, you just need to buy supported
hardware. The intel and radeon drivers are both more advanced than the
Nouveau driver, thanks to Intel and AMD/ATI providing specs, and Intel even
developing a Free as in speech driver themselves. Buying NVidia hardware
gives money to a company which doesn't support Free Software and leaves you
in the messy situation you describe, it's just a plain bad idea.

        Kevin Kofler