4.3.4: KDE - no sound.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:50:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 07:45 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just installed F12 on my private workstation, and upgrade the
> > "built-in" KDE to 4.3.4 from kde-redhat unstable (x86_64, some i686 libs
> > taken from the i386 repo).
> > Login, logout, and no more sound.
> > By looking at the control center, I can see that KDE only sees the
> > Pulseaudio sound server (instead of Pulse + on-board HDA Intel (alsa) +
> > SB Audigy 2 (alsa) and USB microphone (USB camera).
>
> that's expected, see also,
> http://colin.guthr.ie/2009/10/so-how-does-the-kde-pulseaudio-support-work-
> anyway/

Is it something -very- new?
I mean, I never saw it before. (Both KDE 4.3.3 under F11 and KDE 4.3.3
under F12 gave me the full list of devices, including non-PA ones...)

> > Far worse, when I try to test the pulse audio server (from the control
> > center), I get a "Pulse audio server not responding - falling back to
> > (empty).".
>
> Boo, obviously PA has gotten confused/wonky.  reboot?

Gaaah.... Reboot?
It's very weird, if it indeed it was a PA problem, neither mplayer, nor
skype (...) would have worked.

... Plus, I killed PA and ran it under gdb in a console, it nothing
looks out of the ordinary.

> -- Rex

- Gilboa