PreUpgrade help, please - SOLVED

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 20:21:54 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:

>  Any ideas?

Last time I tried preupgrade, I made sure to update all of my system as required,
even uninstalled some things from rpmfusion, etc., just to make sure there would be
no complications, and then spent a lot of time having preupgrade download all of
the updates to my entire system.

I always have 2 or 3 installations of fedora on separate partitions on my main hard
drive (not logical volumes). When I was told to reboot and that the upgrade would
continue, I rebooted and allowed it to do it's thing. After waiting another hour or
so, I was told that it was done, and lo and behold... my main system had been
destroyed, as preupgrade decided to upgrade not the partition from which I had run
it and which I had indicated to have upgraded, but another partition, the one that
housed my failsafe system, in case something should go wrong!

As a result, 2 separate installations of fedora on 2 separate partitions had been
irrevocably destroyed in one fell swoop and I was forced to download the
installation DVD and reinstall from scratch anyway. The whole procedure cost me at
least 6-8 hours of wasted time, as well as around 20 GB of wasted downloading that
I ended up simply deleting and overwriting.

There is a lot to be said for a clean install to a spare partition.