PreUpgrade help, please

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 21 12:34:18 UTC 2009

On Sunday 20 December 2009 23:22:43 José Matos wrote:
> On Sunday 20 December 2009 20:01:35 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Well, it finally finished, just as I'd begun to think it was stuck.
> > Unfortunately it booted to a black screen.  I tried several times to boot
> >  with  an edited grub entry, without success.  This last time it suddenly
> >  started up a blue screen with the Fedora infinity sign - and I thought I
> >  was winning - but it's still sitting there, a black screen with a
> > flashing cursor at the top left.  If I don't crack this soon I'll end up
> > wiping it and installing from disk.
> >
> > Later - well, at least I got as far as a text login.  Now I have to try
> > to get  the display working.
>
> First things first, /var/log/Xorg.0.log should tell you what is wrong with
>  X.

Hundreds of lines, so I don't imagine you want me to paste it all.  It looks
perfectly OK to me.  It says that it is ATi, is using the ati driver, and
there are quite a few lines setting up RADEON.  It ends with

(II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
(II) RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 330 x 211

> Second, what does cat /etc/fedora-release says?

Fedora release 12 (Constantine)

> >  system-config-display is not installed.  Yum
> >  tells me that it can't retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
> >  repository:fedora. I have already disabled adobe repo and ATrpms repo,
> > and I guess that it's going to fail on all the others too, by the sound
> > of it.  Any ideas?
>
> Assuming you are not running rawhide I suggest to clean the metadata for
>  yum:
>
> yum clean metadata

Done.

> then if the problem with fedora repo still persists you can try to comment
>  the mirrorlist line (add a # at begin) and uncomment the above line of
>  baseurl.

Done.

> Another possible option is to move the mirrorlist from https to http. FWIW
>  the last two options are fallback moves and I don't recommend them for
>  general purpose, in one or other occasion for update purposes I had to
>  play with them to get the system to a working state from where all worked.

I didn't do this one, since the baseurl didn't work.  It says [Errno 14]
PYCURL ERROR 6 - ""
but it returns that very quickly, and I doubt if it had time to actually try a
connection.

I suspected the network connection.  I've run system-config-network, and that
looked fine, so I changed it to dhcp and tried that.  That didn't work either.

I'm sure I could figure this sort of thing out eventually, but not having X
does make things that much slower.