PreUpgrade help, please

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 21 14:04:40 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009 13:07:03 Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> On 12/21/2009 09:03 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 21 December 2009 12:46:06 Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> >> What does ifconfig show?
> >
> > Hmm - not good.  No ipv4 address for either cabled or wireless.  I
> > haven't tried to do anything with the wireless part - I know I need
> > firmware first.
> >
> > I ran system-config-network again, and re-set it to static ip, then
> > restarted the network service.
> >
> > Now running ifconfig shows only the loopback stanza.  Ping tells me that
> > the network is unreachable.
> >
> > Funny - I've been using Linux for almost 8 years, and never had an
> > internet problem before - in fact I got it working with RH5, in my early
> > experimentation days, some 10 year ago.
>
> If you know an IP you can use on your network try something like this:
>
> ifcfg eth0 ip/mask
> route add default gw "gateway ip"
I presume that is all in one command, with the actual gateway ip in quotes?

That returns

Peer address with non-trivial netmask

When restarting the network service it brings up the loopback interface, then

Bringing up interface Auto_Lydgatex: WARNING: All config files need .conf:
/etc/modprobe.d/garmintools, it will be ignored in a future relase.
Device Auto_Lydgatex  does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

This seems to be referring to my wireless device, which is not yet set up.
There is simply no mention of the cabled connection.

I've checked /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1 and it is set to
dhcp.  The DNS entries look fine, but I see no reference to the gateway or to
the netmask.

Got it!  I added those two lines, and restarting the network queried for an
address and got the expected one.

Installed system-config-display and ran it.  Rebooted and - black screen, white
rectangular cursor!

It looks as though I might have to find my old F11 disks and give up altogether
on F12.