local alias not respected

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 28 10:45:31 UTC 2009

On Friday 25 December 2009 16:54:59 Armelius Cameron wrote:
> > OK,I understand what you are saying, but it still doesn't explain why it
> > worked in F11, but not in F12.  I'm trying to understand what has
> > changed.
>
> Sorry if I wasn't being very clear (I was in a hurry) :).
>
> As Patrick explained, and far as I know, it has always been the case that
> "su -" will read root's shell environment and overwrite any user shell
> environment including alias and env. variables.
>
> Is there any possibility that you had that alias in root's .bashrc before
>  the  upgrade and simply forgot about that ? Or, it could be that command
>  for the root profile was "/bin/su" before ?
>
> In any case, it seems that you got it to work.

I did, and I appreciate the time some of you have given to try to solve this
mystery for me - it's just that I *hate* mysteries :-)  As for existing
aliases, I always have an alias for root's mail, but I can't think of anything
else more likely to affect this.

As you say, it's working, so no big deal.  Just something that will nag away
in the back of my mind :-)

KDE Community Working Group