[RHEL] kde 4

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 02:14:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Misc Things <formisc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rex,
>  so the info here (http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories)
> and on home page ( http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/ ) is outdated and
> incorrect?
> ant other places you may know where i can look ( for rpms) ?
> //really don't feel like building from the source...
> Andrew
>
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Misc Things wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >  i'm trying to install KDE 4 on CENTOS 5 ( RHEL5) and came across this
>> >  site.
>> > I added repo (http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/redhat/kde.repo)
>> > and enable ( enable=1) test and test-all reps, but the highest version i
>> > can find is 3.5.
>> > I'm sure i'm missing smth simple, just can't figure out what.
>> > Would you mind to advise me ,please ?
>>
>> In short, we don't have any kde4 for rhel builds.
>>
>> There have been a brave soul or 2 that's done it in the past, but nothing
>> that was easily consumable by us to (re)build.
>>
>> -- Rex

Andrew:

AFAIK you can only do it by building from source.  It really isn't too
bad, though it takes a while (depending on your hardware).  If you
search the archives of this list you will find some info, in
particular links to sites with information on compiling for CentOS 5
and lists of items you can install as RPMs from your current repos
that will get you along in the process.  I did it a while back and
posted everything I found to this list.  I didn't maintain my notes
and got distracted by other projects, so I can't really be much help
now other than to point you to the list archives and Google.

Good luck.

George