Kontact/Akonadi is disastrous on 4.3.85

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 17:44:02 UTC 2009

Rex Dieter wrote:

> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>> Unless these issues can be resolved there
>> are going to be some major screams.
>
> Agreed.

Well, all I can add is that I seem to have resolved the issues here. Although I had
said a week ago that I would not migrate to Akonadi for a year or two (waiting for
it to mature, as I fear for the safety of my data), last night I *did* link my
resources to akonadi.

What I did was make sure I have my traditional file resources for kalendar,
kaddressbook, knotes working and have *no* akonadi resources for these programs set
up.

Next, I started the akonadi tray (under utilities in the menu), and selected
configure. I pointed address book, my calendar and notes.ics to the locations where
I actually keep the files, then I added a birthdays and anniversaries resource, and
I even pointed local folders (the email maildir resource) to
/home/petrus/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.inbox.directory/, where akonadi was able
to locate the desired 'cur' directories for each of my identities.

With this setup, I have been able to do an akonadi backup and I have logged out/in
and powered down and back up this morning without incident. Kmail works fine, the
kaddressbook is fine, all the akonadi resources are still set up correctly, as the
akonadi tray utility shows, after I restarted it this morning (this appears to be a
management utility and doesn't need to run all of the time).

So far, all is well. I must say, my previous misgivings about akonadi in kde-4.0 in
January have dissipated. Even then, it was working, *except* that one could not
delete calendar entries, only add new ones, but the setup then was different: one
had to move all one's data to akonadi, while now one is permitted to keep one's
traditional resources and akonadi acts more like a safeguard backup service (but
you must manually back up and restore), if I understand correctly.