Panel problems on F10

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 5 05:18:05 UTC 2009

On Thursday 05 February 2009 06:22:59 GN wrote:
> Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 February 2009 03:11:48 GN wrote:
> >  > Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> >  > > On Tuesday 03 February 2009 15:37:58 GN wrote:
> >  > >> Hi Folks,
> >  > >>
> >  > >> I have just upgraded to F10 and I have run into a pretty basic
> >  > >> problem that I cannot seem to fix.
> >  > >>
> >  > >> I have a panel at the top of the screen that I cannot add anything
> >  > >> to nor can I remove. I have managed to confine it to only one
> >  > >> desktop by clicking on the round icon at the left. There is a
> >  > >> little box with a left pointing arrow that says menu with the mouse
> >  > >> over it but
> >
> > clicking L
> >
> >  > >> or R elicits no action. To the right of the round icon is the text
> >
> > 'Top
> >
> >  > >> Panel'. It is quite large and setting it to autohide still leaves
> >
> > quite
> >
> >  > >> a blank white strip at the top of the screen.
> >  > >>
> >  > >> Can some kind soul please tell me how I can get this panel working
> >  > >> or remove it.
> >  > >>
> >  > >> Ta.
> >  > >
> >  > > Can you confirm that the widgets on your desktop are not locked.
> >  > >
> >  > > Eli
> >  >
> >  > Hi Eli,
> >  >
> >  > No, the widgits on the desktop or on the bottom panel are not locked.
> >  > There are no widgits on the top panel.
> >
> > The panel itself is a widget. I suspect something has corrupted in your
> > kde profile. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. However, I believe that
> > if you log off. Either log in as root and travel to you home folder and
> > edit plasma-appletrc you should be able to edit this file and remove any
> > "[Containments]" with panel plugins.
> >

> > The file is located at /home/"your
> > username"/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletrc
> >

> > If you don't want to loose all your desktop, you will need to make a
> > backup of the file just in case.
> >

> > You will be looking for containment stanzas lines that begin with
> > [Containment][(followed by a number)] (ie [Containments][12]). Within
> > that stanza there should be a line that reads plugin=panel. There could
> > very well be more than one of these. If you that stanza, and then log
> > back in as you, the panel should be gone.
> >

> > Eli
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> Thank you for the info. My plasma-appletsrc file follows. It all looks
> OK. I now think it was some cross contamination from Gnome because just
> to check I logged out and back in to a Gnome session and there was a top
> panel with all the applets I was trying to add to the top panel I didn't
> want in KDE. Logging back into a KDE session the rogue top panel was
> [...]

OK... Great to hear that you found the culprit. Since you've narrowed it down
to some kind of interaction between Gnome and KDE I don't think the panel-
appletrc file is neccessary. It might be a good idea to indicate exactly you
did in Gnome. What applets were loaded etc.

It might be a good idea to do what you did again to confirm that it is indeed
a problem and not some intermittent thing caused by the transition from KDE
4.1 to 4.2, or some update from Gnome.

If the problem persists, and after you post the steps you took to cause the
problem, I or somebody else will certainly try to find the time to try to
confirm the problem.

Maybe, if someone is using a different distro on our side can find the time to
find out if its a KDE problem or some problem with Fedora integration. If in
fact some special things were done in Fedora to try to integrate KDE and Gnome
(maybe somebody can shed some light on this to indicate what if any
integration was done). Then we can know with whom to file a bug report either
KDE or Fedora. This kind of thing should not happen.

Eli

believed to be clean.