Activating the update notifier

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 13:46:05 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2009 19:48:41 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>> On Monday 09 February 2009 21:38:43 Anne Wilson wrote:
>> > What does he need to activate the notifier applet?
>>
>> You can configure notification of updates inn System Settings -> Add Remove
>> Programs -> Settings including notification of updates.
>>
> Thanks, Eli.  I'll pass that on

Related question: this is usually what happens (on multiple computers):
- kpackagekit icon appears and tells me it's checking for updates
- Notification pops up and I click on "update"
- While the update is happening -- actually, quite early on --
*another* notification comes up and tells me again about the updates
I'm already doing

I've been attributing this -- on no evidence other than "gut feeling"
-- to something like this: maybe kpackagekit does another refresh of
the available packages after I start the update, which in turn
triggers the second notification window. I've never been sufficiently
interested to track it down, though. Does this happen to anyone else?

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster  --  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
Informatik 6: Robotics and Embedded Systems, Technische Universität München