knetworkmanager broken after 4.2

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 11 07:46:41 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 04:38:32 Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> I apologize upfront if I missed something but -  I noticed since
> applying the 4.2 updates from the test repository that knetworkmanager
> no longer works for me to connect to wireless.  Wired networks appear
> to work fine.  The only way I've seen to get around this is to install
> NetworkManager-gnome.  When this is installed knetworkmanager works
> fine (but isn't really needed since NetworkManager-gnome is
> installed....  duh...).
>
> I did some searching and found:
> http://www.osnews.com/story/20758/KDE_4_2_Progress_New_NetworkManager_Plasm
>oid_Coming
>
> which looks like the old knetworkmanager is on the way out (or with
> 4.2 appears already gone... ;-) )
>
> The new plasmoid isn't going to be distributed until 4.3 but
> apparently is available to test with now.
>
> What's the current direction on this?  Use NetworkManager-gnome until
> 4.3, make the plasmoid available to use or fix the old
> knetworkmanager?
>
> That said, so far I'm really pleased with 4.2 - things appear to be
> working fine!

Confirmed.  Last night's update brought me

Name        : NetworkManager               Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 0.7.0                             Vendor: Fedora Project
Release     : 2.git20090207.fc10            Build Date: Sat 07 Feb 2009
02:39:06 PM GMT
Install Date: Tue 10 Feb 2009 02:39:24 PM GMT      Build Host:
x86-6.fedora.phx.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
NetworkManager-0.7.0-2.git20090207.fc10.src.rpm

Before that I had been using knetworkmanager with NetworkManager-gnome
uninstalled.  This morning I could get no connection.  Installing
NetworkManager-gnome connected immediately after a reboot.