What is the status of ksynaptics in KDE4.2 ?

Linuxguy123 linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 16:56:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 16:49 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 12 February 2009 05:53:13 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > KSynaptics is a third-party tool which is completely unrelated to KDE 4.2,
> > also because it uses the KDE 3 libs. So KDE 4.2 does not change anything
> > whatsoever with respect to KSynaptics.
> >
> For those of us who don't have a hardware solution for this, we need to
> consider the options.  I presume that for the moment this means that we can
> continue to use ksynaptics on hardware that needs it, but once we are in a
> totally KDE4 environment it will not work?  Do you know of anything in the
> pipeline to deal with this annoying hardware lack?

I don't know of anything, Anne.

I've taken a look at the ksynaptics/gsynaptics source code and I've
spoken with the developer.  I'm seriously considering taking the guts of
what has been done and converting it to use the Xorg synaptics driver.
The author has started doing this, but it is far from complete.

I think I would write it as a python KDE Widget.  Its presently written
in C++ and I don't see the need for that.  Gnome people might not like
it if its written as a KDE Widget.

Any thoughts ?