CDs in Amarok

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 02:21:56 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:
>> reverting all this OK but keeping the phonon integration ;)
>
> Kscd in 4.1 already did support Phonon if you selected digital playback.
>
> Phonon does not support analog playback, so of course if you use analog
> playback you get no Phonon. It's also not needed for analog playback, all
> that does is stream the data directly from the CD drive to the sound card.

As a musician, I do not really understand this. A CD holds digital
data. There is no way of getting analog sound from a CD unless you
throw it against a wall. In contrast, (gramaphone) records and tapes
are analog.

I am pretty sure that "analog playback" of CD's is not really analog.
But what is the definition (of "analog playback")?

Orcan