CDs in Amarok

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:37:32 UTC 2009

> Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > I am pretty sure that "analog playback" of CD's is not really analog.
> > But what is the definition (of "analog playback")?
>
> "Analog" playback means playback through the sound cable from the CD drive
> to the soundcard (which of course assumes that cable is plugged), as
> opposed to digital audio extraction to the computer and playback through
> the CPU. The advantage is that it doesn't use CPU power and is less
> susceptible to some forms of copy protection (also depending on the drive),
> the drawback is that it needs that cable to be plugged and that effects
> cannot be performed (on most sound cards, you can control the volume of
> direct CD playback, but other than that no tuning can be done because the
> sound doesn't transit through the CPU).
>
> I think it's called analog playback because that cable is an analog cable
> and thus it's the CD drive which does the digital->analog conversion, not
> the sound card. I may be wrong though.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

"Analog" playback does not existing on all CD/DVD devices. The newer SATA
CD/DVD devises don't have a "analog" output, most, maybe all IDE devices do
have. On SATA devices signals are going through the cpu and are all digital.
My device is of this type. With the default configuration, KsCD - in KDE 4.1.4
- locked up my device (hard resets were necessary, to get it alive). To solve
the problem, I had to enable "use digital playback". In KDE 4.2 "digital
playback" seems to be the default. It worked out off the box. Btw. yes, the
skin is really awful.

Martin Kho