CDs in Amarok

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:00:03 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 February 2009 06:35:39 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Martin Kho wrote:
> > "Analog" playback does not existing on all CD/DVD devices. The newer SATA
> > CD/DVD devises don't have a "analog" output, most, maybe all IDE devices
> > do have. On SATA devices signals are going through the cpu and are all
> > digital. My device is of this type. With the default configuration, KsCD
> > - in KDE 4.1.4 - locked up my device (hard resets were necessary, to get
> > it alive). To solve the problem, I had to enable "use digital playback".
> > In KDE 4.2 "digital playback" seems to be the default. It worked out off
> > the box. Btw. yes, the skin is really awful.
>
> Whatever the default is, it may not be the right choice, so this really
> needs to be an option, which was kinda my point.

Yes, sure, see my previous post. In KsCD in 4.1.4 there was an switch option.

> But this is not even the worst point of suckage in the new KsCD, the skin
> system is horrible and the use of the deprecated libtunepimp stack instead
> of either current MusicBrainz or FreeDB (Why did they switch away from
> that? It's the best option as it also allows submitting your own data!) or
> both (but in that case too they need to use the *current* MusicBrainz
> stack!) will make it a problem for long-term maintainability. (Basically,
> the old libs are in Rawhide just so KsCD keeps building.)
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Maybe its not the right answer, but I've to admit that the current version of
KsCD is working better for me than the previous one. Now - with MusicBrainz -
I get songs and artist titles. Since KDE 4.x. I have never seen them. Only
Gnome apps and KDE 3.x - e.g. k3b - showed any titles.

Martin Kho