File a bug against what?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 18 22:41:06 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 20:36:44 José Matos wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009 20:03:52 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 18 February 2009 19:50:09 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > > Maybe you could describe what the problem is. Maybe including the
> > > hardware embedded in the laptop (ie video card, cpu type, memory etc.)
> >
> > Basically, I had been seeing increasing slowdowns of many functions,
> > including long pauses before kmail could send a message out (and during
> > which no other activity was possible).  These could last anything up to
> > around 15 seconds. It had proved impossible to find a pattern to the
> > behaviour.  I could have been suffering from this for hours, then
> > suddenly one or two messages would depart promptly.
> >
> > All this was on the Acer Aspire One, which has an Intel Mobile 945GME
> > Express graphics unit.  I had desktop effects enabled, but was only using
> > 'dim inactive windows'.  Two days ago I decided to try changing the
> > compositing type from OpenGL to XRender.  The improvement was immediate
> > and obvious.  It isn't perfect, but it's a great deal better.
> >
> > I know that information is being gathered about various display card
> > problems. I want to add this one to the collection, and to point out the
> > workaround. FWIW, at least one other user that I have talked to has had a
> > similar result though the details differ.  He will add his information to
> > my report.
>
> I only see pauses when using kmail. Sometimes it pause for no obvious
> reasons (no disc activity FWIW).

I did see it in other things, but it was worst in kmail.  You couldn't even
carry on reading the next message until it had gone, and sometimes the pauses
were so long that I was almost convinced that it was a cumulative leak
somewhere - then I'd get a message out immediately, so that theory didn't
hold.

Since I changed the rendering I've only had pauses of up to 2-3 seconds, with
most mail going straight out.