Random Lockups Anyone?

Tejas Dinkar tejasdinkar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 07:42:42 UTC 2009

Does anyone else have this issue of X suddenly locking up at Random
Things?

I'm not sure if it's a bug with my Graphics Driver (probably is), but it
only seems to happen in KDE, and never with GNOME (even with Desktop
Effects off)

My symtoms are that KDE (and X in general) suddenlly locks up. The mouse
may be moved for a few seconds. If I try sshing in and killing X, or
pressing the power button to shut down, then my caps lock button starts
blinking (Kernel Panic). Since KDE 4.2, the frequency with which these
lock ups happen is going up.

Does anyone know what might be wrong/a workaround?

I'm using a
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

rpm -q xorg-x11-drv-i810 kdelibs kdebase-workspace kdebase-runtime
xorg-x11-drv-i810-2.5.0-4.fc10.i386
kdelibs-4.2.0-10.fc10.i386
kdebase-workspace-4.2.0-8.fc10.i386
kdebase-runtime-4.2.0-6.fc10.i386