File a bug against what?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 11:05:25 UTC 2009

On Thursday 19 February 2009 05:35:16 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 February 2009 22:03:52 Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Maybe you could describe what the problem is. Maybe including the
> > > hardware embedded in the laptop (ie video card, cpu type, memory etc.)
> >
> > Basically, I had been seeing increasing slowdowns of many functions,
> > including long pauses before kmail could send a message out (and during
> > which no other activity was possible).  These could last anything up to
> > around 15 seconds. It had proved impossible to find a pattern to the
> > behaviour.  I could have been suffering from this for hours, then
> > suddenly one or two messages would depart promptly.
>
> One other thing that you can try to improve performance is click on:
>
> Settings -> Configure Kmail -> Accounts -> (The Account that you are using)
> -> Modify -> Advanced
>
> Make sure that there is a check mark next to "List Only Open Folders"

Hmm - I've avoided that setting, as I didn't feel sure of what it does.  For
instance, I have 'Open threads that contain new, unread...... threads'.  If
'List only open folders' means that only these folders are listed, copying and
moving messages would be a problem.

However,  having re-started kmail, nothing looks any different.  Does that
imply that we are not talking about the display, but how much reading kmail
does for every transaction?

> Restart Kontact / Kmail. See if that helps.

OK.  This is the first message to go out under the new setting.  I'll see what
happens over the next few hours.